So today I’m taking the time to make some fun and quick announcements and then answer some questions about myself to help you get to know me better!
Coming up on Ungluing Stigma, we’re going to have a surprise guest writer! I won’t spoil who it will be, but they’re just as passionate about ending the stigma as I am! Also coming up in the next few months, I will be continuing to write a few blog posts that will be shared on the blog of the spa I work at and will be sharing them here as well. Finally, I will be giving a presentation at work about empathy, and how to respond appropriately to any client who comes in with a mental health issue. I’m hoping to get a video of the presentation, or at the very least get my notes up on the blog, so be on the lookout for that as well. This weekend I also got a burst of inspiration on various blog post topics, so it’s an exciting next few months here at Ungluing Stigma!
So you all know some things about me, from the experiences I share here on the blog, from my Instagram, or maybe you know me personally and are a friend or family member reading my blog. On Pinterest recently I found a 14 Day Blog challenge and realized it would be a great way to officially introduce myself to all you lovely people. Rather than spending two weeks on these questions, I’m going to rapid-fire answer them here and now! Here we go!
- Introduction. My name’s Serenity Rae Kaspar, but I typically go by Ren. I have Complex PTSD, Severe Anxiety Disorder, Rapid-Cycling Bipolar 1, Borderline Personality Disorder, Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder, Binge Eating Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I’ve lived over 10 different places in my life, but I’m able to proudly say that I’m a Wisconsin-Raised gal. I’ve been dancing since I was 3, and now I choreograph for local theaters in the Madison Area. I love theater and have been in over 15 different plays/ musicals. I’ve kept a poetry journal since 8th grade. I have a bunny, a guinea pig, 2 gerbils and a hamster. I love to spend quality time with my friends.
- 20 fun facts about me!
- I’m a Libra
- I’m a Harry Potter Fan: Ravenclaw and Pukwudgie
- I met my best friend in kindergarten and we’ve been BFFs ever since (so that’s 16 years)
- I love kids movies
- I have 7 Build-A-Bears
- I love the DC Universe more than Marvel
- If I could have anything growing out of my head besides hair, I’d choose flowers so that I never had to wear perfume and always a piece of spring with me – I love spring (bonus fact!)
- I’ve played almost every Nancy Drew Mystery computer game
- I’ve been to 40 states
- My younger brother and I can quote the entire movie Cars… this is a theory we actually tested and we do indeed know every line
- I have a moped to get around town
- My first kiss was at a cast party for my senior year’s musical. I had to keep my eyes closed while they picked someone to kiss me and so I don’t know who I had my first kiss with.
- My medium of choice when coloring is always crayons or highlighters
- When it thunderstorms I run outside in a tank top and shorts and get soaked while playing in the mud.
- In my lifetime I have lived with 11 different cats
- I hate math even though I was one of the best at math in high school
- I’ve been to NYC 3 times and each time I saw a broadway musical: In the Heights, Wicked and Newsies.
- I once went on a 37-day roadtrip to 11 different states
- I helped rebuild houses damaged by Hurricane Katrina
- I used to have hair so long it was past my butt
- The meaning of my business name: I knew I wanted it to be about mental health and ending the stigma. I originally thought about Ungluing the Invisible but that title wasn’t as clear. I also considered Lead by Butterflies, I hate mental illness… it’s awesome, and Confession Time
- Earliest childhood memory: I remembered getting stuck in the frame of our kitchen table when I was around 2 and they almost had to call the fire department.
- My guilty pleasure: watching the sad movies where someone is sick and/ or dies (Bridge to Terabithia, The Fault in Our Stars, If I Stay, Me, Earl and the Dying Girl, Safe Haven… etc.)
- 3 personality traits I’m proud of: empathetic, thoughtful, creative
- Favorite foods: Ice Cream, any kind of pasta, deep fried cheese, yogurt, pancakes!
- Old photo of me: my Godsister had dressed me up to go swimming:
- Piercings and tattoos? Yep! My ears and my belly button are pierced and I currently have 7 tattoos (with 3 more in the works), my Instagram has pictures of 6 of them
- Fist celebrity crush: Being demisexual I didn’t have many celeb crushes, but boy howdy I loved Evan Lysacek, a figure skater from the 2010 Olympics. I slept with a photo of him under my pillow and would kiss it goodnight.
- My most proud moment: when a blog post of mine when viral
- If I won the Lottery: I’d get a lot of tattoos and go to Disneyworld
- Favorite Quote: good ol’ JK Rowling: “Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic”
- Dream job: getting paid to write about mental health on a blog or website of some kind and working at the Crisis Text Line to continue making a difference in the mental health world.
So that’s me! I think this post was a great way to help reinforce the idea that I am so much more than just my mental illnesses. I’m a real human with real feelings and experiences and silliness. Remember that everyone you meet is more than just their mental health diagnosis. Have a spectacular week everybody! And remember to keep an eye out for all of those exciting things coming up!